Have you ever thought about just how blessed you are to be able to read the Bible?
In your own language?
In modern-day terminology with relevant applications to your life?
I never really gave this much thought until I learned about the Africa Study Bible Campaign, a cross-continental effort to place the first study Bible developed by Africans into the hands of Africans. A study Bible that will bring the power of the Scripture to Africa in new and culturally relevant ways. How exciting is that?!! The more I learned about this campaign and their mission, the more my heart was stirred by the work they are doing for the Kingdom of Heaven!
What if everything you read was filled with illustrations from people 6,000 miles away?
A culture far removed from your own.
What if that was all you have to build our faith on?
-Matthew Elliot, President of Oasis International
Over the course of 6 years, 350 writers and editors from 40 African countries have worked together to create a study Bible relevant to the African people. This study Bible will be written in the New Living Translation and include 2,400+ features of stories and proverbs, application notes, touchpoints that link Africa and the Bible, and explanations of basic theology. The Africa Study Bible will initially be released in English, French, and Portuguese – three languages that roughly 70% of literate Africans can read – and will launch in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa first, with more countries to follow.
“…committed to providing sustainable solutions that empower the African church and build a pan-African publishing industry. We work to publish books that are by Africans, giving African churches resources that are suited to their contexts, and giving African leaders tools to reach a global audience. Using our distribution network in Africa, we are able to offer booksellers significant discounts that allows them to sell the majority of our books for under five dollars. Rather than subsidizing distribution, we partner with locally owned and operated retail outlets where African booksellers can sell the books that customers actually want.
With the launch of the study Bible, Africans will finally have a resource that speaks directly to their heart, relating Scripture to everyday life.”
With their mission to reach the African people, Oasis has launched a Kickstarter Campaign of $1,000,000 to launch the Africa Study Bible!! This money will go toward the publishing and distribution of the first 100,000 copies of the Bible and the campaign will run until June 16, 2016. Will you help spread the Word of God to all the nations? Would you consider pledging your support and donate to The Africa Study Bible Kickstarter Campaign and help provide Bibles to the people of Africa?
If you’d like to donate, click any of the green “Back This Project” buttons throughout this blog post to be directed to the Kickstarter Campaign!!
The Africa Study Bible Kickstarter Campaign has a host of Rewards available for everyone who donates. Some of them include:
- $5 – You will receive a thank you shout out on Twitter and Facebook, and a special preview of the ASB book of Genesis
- $40 – A social media thank you, ASB Genesis preview, 5×8 ASB inspired artwork, plus your own advanced hardcover copy of the Africa Study Bible
- $100 – A social media thank you, ASB Genesis preview, 5×8 ASB inspired artwork, the full ASB app, plus the advanced limited edition genuine bonded leather Africa Study Bible
- $500 – A social media thank you, ASB Genesis preview, 5×8 ASB inspired artwork, the full ASB app, plus the limited edition, premium luxury, edge-lined goatskin leather Africa Study Bible
- $3,500 – A social media thank you, ASB Genesis preview, 5×8 ASB inspired artwork, the full ASB app, edge-lined goatskin leather ASB, 2 original matted and framed ASB inspired artwork, plus an All Expenses Paid Trip to the USA dedication of the Africa Study Bible hosted by Moody Broadcasting in Chicago!
- $10,000 – A social media thank you, ASB Genesis preview, 5×8 ASB inspired artwork, the full ASB app, edge-lined goatskin leather ASB, 2 original matted and framed ASB inspired artwork, plus a trip to Kenya for the launch of the Africa Study Bible and a safari
I so hope you’ll consider supporting this amazing campaign to get God’s Word into the hands of people needing to hear about His grace! If you’re not sure – PRAY about it!! Pray about donating to the campaign. Pray for the many hands that are involved in this project. Pray for the souls desperately in need of God’s salvation!! Pray that God would use the Africa Study Bible for His Glory!