Happy Wednesday, ya’ll!!
Today, I am teaming up with Vannetta Chapman to talk about her newly released dystopian thriller, Deep Shadows, where a natural phenomenon knocks out all modern day technology and thrusts people into a new era of primitive living. Goodbye internet, cell phones, and hot showers! *GASPS* That means NO Netflix!! Ya’ll, I don’t think I’d make it…I love the internet and Netflix too much!! I mean, hot showers are great and all…but NETFLIX!!! *sighs* I can only hope a dystopian age doesn’t happen anytime soon, but if that does happen, Deep Shadows definitely gives me great ideas on how to survive…even without my wonderful Netflix.
Deep Shadows gave me some serious goosebumps and chills as I read through the story! In fact, I had to limit myself to reading it only during the daytime hours. No night reading for me! I made that mistake one night and, well, freaked myself out enough that I was jumping at every noise all night long and barely got any sleep! You thrill lovers are going to love Deep Shadows so much!!
Okay, enough about me panicking with the idea of no Netflix and lack of sleep. Its time for you to meet Vannetta!! 🙂
Vannetta Chapman writes inspirational fiction full of grace, including romantic suspense and Amish romance novels. She is the author of seventeen novels, including the Pebble Creek Amish series, The Shipshewana Amish Mystery series and Anna’s Healing, a 2016 Christy Award finalist. Vannetta is a Carol award winner and also received more than two dozen awards from Romance Writers of America chapter groups. She was a teacher for 15 years and currently resides in the Texas hill country. Connect with her on:
What’s your favorite kind of hero/heroine? Do you envision the hero riding in to save the day on a horse? Or driving a sports car? Is your heroine a woman with a career or a stay at home mom?
My upcoming release, Deep Shadows, is a dystopian story. These are tales centered around a dramatic change in society, major what if scenarios. They are stories about relationships and how they survive or crumble when what we’ve feared, as a society, occurs. They’re stories of faith and hope in the most desperate of times. And the major characters in these stories are a bit different!
- Are usually “reluctant heroes.” They don’t seek the spotlight and don’t want to be the one in charge. But when things fall apart, they step into the role where they’re needed.
- Have unusual skills. Usually those are survival skills. They know how to find things that you need to survive. They know how to get by without their cell phone, Google, and GPS.
- Are loyal. They might not be the strongest or the bravest, but they genuinely care about their family and friends, and they’re willing to do anything to honor their promises.
- Are adaptable. In a dystopian world everything is turned upside down. Heroes are able to adjust quickly. Instead of asking “why” they focus on “what we need to do now.” They understand the time to grieve over what’s been lost is later. The thing to do now is to be strong for friends/family/neighbors.
- Have an abiding faith. Despite the odds, the bleak turn of events, the seemingly desperate future, heroes and heroines in a Christian dystopian novel believe that God is still in control. Do they struggle? Sure. Do they doubt? Sometimes. But in the end, they lead others not just through a crumbling world but on a journey of faith.
Deep Shadows is the first book in my upcoming Remnant Series. It’s a significant change from the Amish books I’ve previously published, and for me this journey began with a few questions:
- Would I know how to survive if the technology I use every day disappeared?
- Would I be strong, physically and emotionally, to care for my family?
- Would my faith, my belief in God’s care and provide, remain strong?
Deep Shadows is a journey into fast paced, unexpected journey through a world turned topsy-turvy. I hope it’s a journey that you’ll take with me.
Written by: Vannetta Chapman
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
Month, Year: July, 2016
A brief summary from Vannetta Chapman:
All It Takes Is One Night to Plunge the World into Darkness
Life in Abney, Texas, is predictable and safe–until the night a massive solar flare wipes out all modern technology.
Shelby Sparks, novelist and single mom, had one goal: to provide for her diabetic son. In the wake of this global disaster, her mission hasn’t changed. Only now, medication is a priceless commodity and the future resembles an apocalyptic nightmare.
Max Berkman and Shelby were once sweethearts, but he lost his chance at claiming her love years ago. When the abrupt loss of power ushers him into a leadership role, he rises to the occasion. But his highest priority–to keep Shelby and her son safe–could prove to be the biggest challenge of all.
As the brilliant northern lights give way to deep shadows, Max and Shelby’s faith will be tested like never before. Only one rule remains: Find a way to survive.
In this first book in an eerily plausible dystopian series, a memorable cast of characters must navigate a familiar world thrown into chaos.
I know you are super pumped to find out where to buy Deep Shadows, right?! Okay, okay I won’t leave you in suspense any longer! Deep Shadows is available wherever your favorite books are sold or online at Amazon, B&N, and CBN!
Vannetta is also giving one lucky winner a copy of Deep Shadows!!! Click on the cover photo above to enter the giveaway! The winner has their choice to receive this in print or as an e-read. Open to USA residents only.
I was graciously provided a free copy of this novel from Vannetta Chapman in exchange for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. This giveaway is endorsed by Vannetta Chapman and is held at the discretion of the blog, Baker Kella.